Thursday 15 March 2012

Sophie is excited about ALIA Sydney in 2012

Hi there, this is Sophie and I work at UTS Library in the Information Services Department dealing with information literacy, reference help and faculty liaison among other things. This is my second year on the ALIA Sydney committee. I joined last year because I feel passionate about the profession and passionate about sharing my passion with others! Yes, I'm a lover not a hater. I think professional development is the key to our profession moving forward and being a member of the ALIA Sydney committee seemed a way to get involved and make a difference. Well, in retrospect it certainly has but being on the committee has also had unexpected benefits. I've gotten to know and work with amazing like minded people on the committee, I've met and heard from expert speakers at our events and I've met many fantastic people who've come along to participate.

The events we've held have all been a different style and that's also been a learning experience for the committee, speakers and participants. In particular last year we held our first 20x20 pecha kucha style event where speakers have 20 slides with 20 seconds per slide totaling just over 6 mins! It was such an exciting event. I can't wait for our next one which is coming up in 2 weeks on 29 March at Waverley Library!

Last year I really enjoyed working with a great bunch of people on the committee and luckily a few of them have hung around again this year. But I'm also really excited to get to know the new gang of committee members who've come on board with fresh ideas and enthusiasm. It's great. So that's why I joined up for a second year. The first one was so great and went by so quickly that I wanted another go at it! I hope to see you at some of our events this year! Come and say hi *waves*!

No comments:

Post a Comment