Sunday 2 June 2013

Participating in 23 Mobile Things

Welcome to day two of June. Early in April ALIA Sydney shared a post by Abigail Willemse, Kate Freedman and Hiba Kanji inviting library professionals to join them in completing 23 Mobile Things. I thought I'd briefly share what we've been up to so far...


Having completed the original 23 a few years ago, I was fascinated by the updated version 23 Mobile Things. So when Abigail Willemse, Kate Freedman and Hiba Kanji organised a collaborative Australia/New Zealand group to work though the 23 things I thought it was a great opportunity to expand my skills. With weekly twitter chats and blog posts, participants are able to share their experiences and tips. The program is set up so that participants complete one task per week, allowing even the busiest of library professionals to get involved.

Thing 1 was Twitter. I’ve been using Twitter now for about 6 months, but as I discovered, you can never know enough about Twitter. Some of the great tips from other users were shared at the end of the week on the 23things Blog. Thing 2, taking a photo with a mobile device was something I had never used before. I got to have a play with Flikr and Snapchat and it gave me plenty of food for thought in integrating these applications to promote library services and programs. Thing 3 is Email on the go. As someone who is trying to juggle work, study, professional advancement and a social life week three has been great. There have been some great tips and tricks on balancing, something I still need to learn! This week has been all about Thing 4, maps and checking in. I’ve been exploring Foursquare and the check in option on Facebook. During the week, there have been some interesting discussions about geocaching and libraries and on Wednesday a thought provoking Twitter chat about smartphonesclosing the digital divide. You can read the article that started this debate here.

With such a fantastic and open group I’ve really enjoyed the past four weeks and I’m looking forward to the next 19 Things!


It’s not too late to join either, check out the ANZ 23 Moible Things Blog and start today!

Kirsty

No comments:

Post a Comment