Thursday 12 June 2014

Blog Every Day in June Day 12: Roxanne Clare

Today's post comes from Roxanne Clare, Library and records assistant plus student. You can follow her on twitter @rrclare2011  -Caitlin Williams

My name is Roxanne Clare and my decision to pursue a career in the library and information industry came after trying two other career paths, childcare and administration. I am currently working part time as a library and records assistant in a large corporate law firm in the CBD of Sydney.

Presently I work with six other staff in the library and records department with my duties being spread over three days, 50% of the time in records management and 50% library work. My library duties include interlibrary loans, accessioning and acquisitions, distributing currently awareness material and the basic shelving and shelf tidying. The two main things I love about my job is that I get to go offsite to retrieve interlibrary loans – (we try to keep costs down so I physically go to various library to retrieve these, including both the State Library and the Law Courts), and the people I work with. 

I have also completed the Certificate III and Diploma of Library studies at Ultimo TAFE. Studying these courses on campus was a wonderful experience. Teachers were approachable and the bond and friendship I make with other students developed into a great support network. I am now studying the Bachelor of Information Studies via distance education through Charles Sturt University.

I decided to pursue the TAFE courses before attending university to ensure that I was going to be fully happy in the industry. The biggest challenge with the transition from on campus to distance education has been staying motivated. I know I have made a great career choice due to the diversity and enjoyment of both practical and theory experiences I have encountered so far and will never look back!

No comments:

Post a Comment