If libraries are what people consider a dying industry, please let me share with you a few statistics that were compiled by the State Library of NSW.
There are 376 public libraries in NSW, 142 in metropolitan NSW and 234 in country areas.
The key indicators of public library use show that public libraries are highly valued by their communities. 2012 figures show:
- almost 35 million visits to NSW public libraries (up 30% since 2000)
- almost 48 million loans
- over 3 million internet hours used by the public
- almost 3.2 million library members (44% of the NSW population)
- more than 52,000 public programs and events
- more than 1.2 million people attended public programs (up 38% since 2008)
What an opportunity and a privilege!
Post a Comment